View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
RAS

Default Station wagon build/questions

I think it’s time I share my station wagon build with the fordbarn plus I have a lot of questions. I’ve always wanted a Model A woody wagon but I knew finances were never going to allow for the purchase of an original so I decided to build my own. I don’t want to pass this off as an original but since I’m going to the trouble of making the parts I might as well try to make this look as original as possible. My desire for a woody wagon started a couple of decades ago and the search for parts/information began in earnest a couple of years ago.
Since I wasn’t sure exactly how I was going to build the body I decided to build this body in pine and not glue any of the joints. Once I am confident my dimensions and woodworking capability are up to the task I will disassemble this body and create a bill of materials to purchase the maple, birch, and basswood needed.
P1030712.jpgP1030715.jpg
Above are a couple of pictures of where my build is right now. If you look at my avatar you’ll see a Revell 1/25 scale Model A Woody Wagon model, probably 90% of my dimensions have come from that model.
P1020188.jpgP1030312.jpg
I pretty much started with a frame, a rusty cowl, and my Revell model. I made my own subrail extensions and lower cowl side panels. I wish I was as good as Flop and could photo document what I was doing but most of the time I’m not too sure of what I’m doing until it’s done.
P1030314.jpgP1030377.jpg
I modeled a wood buck from a fordoor rear wheelhouse and then beat the new rear wheelhouse pans out. Later I used a torch to work out any rough spots
I only manage around 10 hours a week to work on my wagon so progress is very slow. I’ll try to update with pictures of what I’ve done at least once a week.

Now for a couple of questions,
If anybody could get me a picture of the metal bracket that attaches the door center post to the floor I would appreciate it. I’m lucky enough to have met someone that has an original 1931 wagon that’s less than an hour away but I hate to keep bugging them.
Door latches, does anybody know if these door latches are used on any other cars, maybe T’s. This picture is taken from the internet but it’s the exact same latch as the 1931 that’s nearby.
1931FordWoody49.jpg
Thanks for your interest
ras
RAS is offline   Reply With Quote