View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Ignition Options

What do you define as upgrade?

Do you want a car that runs 65 MPH, gets in the low 20's for MPG and is dependable for the next 4 or 5 decades with minimal maintenance?

That is what my brothers car has for a history. Stock head, used B cam, used points, burnout proof condenser, and a wire stolen from a dist on an engine out behind a garage (he was a 15 year old with no morals!). Other then the burn out proof condenser it is untouched from the day he rebuilt it.

Going to electronic stuff may make you immune from loose parts in the distributor giving you uneven dwell but it opens you up to voltage sensitivities. In other words, the electronic system will fix a worn distributor system or poor parts.
The downsides.. A marginal battery means a tow home. Poor connections are going to be a problem.

Paying attention to details and keeping original is your most reliable and robust system.

Going too high in compression you will need to push the ignition system harder and electronics help.

As far as better pep and power. Never experienced a switch to eletronics so I do not know. I do know my brother has had people complain he runs to fast and I had the same problem when driving my crappy looking 30 fordor. Keep in mind the people complaining were driving in cars newer then 1950.

Most of you guys baby your A's too much and think you need modern to move along. Rebuild em right back to factory and thrash the heck out of them for the next 50 years.
Remember the pedal on the right makes them go, do not be afraid to press it! Run em hard and put em away wet. They love that kind of abuse.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote