View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
wrndln

Default Re: 1929 Model A body block question

I measured the height of the rearmost body block on my 28 special coupe (in that area it is identical to a 28/29 sports coupe) this morning. The body block is 1 15/16" high like your tudor/phaeton blocks. However, if I were you, I would not use the rear blocks you have. The reason is that there is really not a lot of support using a 3" body block verses the long block Ford went to in 30/31 that also fit 28/29 coupes and roadsters. I am not sure how long the long rear blocks are (I could measure mine if needed), but I believe they are at least 12" long. The longer block distribute the weight over a larger area of the subrails. I used the longer rear blocks on my coupe for this reason. My subrails where the rear body blocks fit were cracked and split when I got my coupe, mostly, I believe, due to the short body blocks not providing adequate support. In addition, there is even less support using a tudor/phaeton rear block as 1/4 of the top is cut away, making the short block even less supportive than the original solid 3" block. Just my opinion.

BTW, the longer rear body block would be very easy to make with a table or radial arm saw. It is just a rectangle block with all straight sides. I am almost 100% sure the width is the same has you tudor/phaeton blocks.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 11-07-2013 at 09:34 AM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote