View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Default Re: 8BA Gen. belt replacement

I can only add a bit from previous procedure. The pickup version of the 8BA used the wide belt till 53 if I remember correctly and drove both pumps & the generator. The narrow belts were generally a left & right two belt set up. If you want the generator belt tension at about 1/2 inch as the Ford manuals state or just a bit tighter than you can easily push up on the gen mount, your can disconnect the generator from the mount by unbolting the hold down clamp and make small increment changes upward on the mount bracket without the weight of the generator. The generator can then be reinstalled in the mount to check the belt tension. You just push the back of the generator down into the mount till the locating pin engages. You can get it a little tighter for the 3/8" belt without prying on a big heavy lump of a generator and mount. The fan belt can then be adjusted. The fan adjusts a little easier since you can get a bit more leverage on it.

I don't remember the length of the gen belt but it is the longer of the two in the 50 & later Ford & Merc cars. It drives from the rear sheave on the crank to the left pump and then the generator. The fan belt drives off the front crank sheave and then the right pump and fan.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-22-2013 at 12:36 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote