View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Installation of Alternator on a Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've never wanted to sacrifice a generator to find out how much it can safely put out, but have seen the rating of 12 amps continuous for the long generator and 15 amps for the powerhouse. By removing the band or rear cover for better cooling, I'd think a guy could safely add 3 amps to each. I think the need for cooling air is more important than the heavier wire on the armature. I see more thrown solder at the commutator than I see burned armature wires, but in either case a flow of cooling air would be the first thing I'd want. There's just no good way to get the cooling air and still have the generator look stock, that's why if I needed several more amps I'd just install a later generator with a 5/8" wide pulley.

I find my good silver original reflectors and 32 cp bulbs works fine for night driving and only takes about 9 or 10 amps.
That I agree with 110%.

As a kid I remember my dad & I driving home from a Model-A meeting after dark with 50/50 cp bulbs and good original reflectors. After driving for an hour or so (which was a pretty decent distance), the battery would become discharged somewhat so everyone would pull into a coffee shop for a break. They would leave the engines running and the generator charging at about 10 amps at a fast idle. In about 30 minutes, the batteries would be recharged so we would be on our way again and make it home just fine. If the lights are drawing 15 amps and the generator can safely replenish 10 amps, how long can you drive with a 5 amp discharge with a good 6v battery? How long does it take someone to get where they are going driving after dark??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote