View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Installation of Alternator on a Model A

If a person chooses to run the brighter 60/55 watt headlamp bulbs or other high draw accessories in their model A, they will need a 60 amp alternator, not because they expect or need the alternator to constantly peg 60 amps. If a person uses high draw accessories, an alternator isn't a waste of money. I Like generators because they are original for the model A and I can repair or rebuild them myself. I like the fact that a car equiped with a generator can be push started with a dead battery ,if you can push them fast enough. I don't like the fact that an alternator will draw current when the vehicle isn't running. People with original, mostly unaccessorized model A's will have no need for an alternator . No real need to squabble. If a person wants or needs an alternator for high draw accessories they should get one. If originality is the main concern stay with the original generator. As far as putting out more amps or charging at lower rpm, the alternator is superior, thats why modern cars use them.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote