View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #88
dono50

Send a message via MSN to dono50
Default Re: 8BA block leaking water from exhaust port ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
Hi Bob, at this point with all the info here I would be hesitant to try that fix. I assume your planning on that "plug" to simply have enough pressure on it to "seal" the hole??

I would say in that area you will see some very high temps, 1200+, and things will really be moving around.

The last method I mentioned I feel most comfortable doing (at home), drilling through the head bolt hole and lower hole and tapping it 7/16"-14 for the stud or short set-screw. This method puts the fastener directly in the bad hole and really has little chance of leaking regardless of the exhaust temps. A set screw would also eliminate the stud hanging in the exhaust passage.

I would attempt to stop the tap short in the bottom hole and have an inteference fit with the 7/16" threads.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The nice part about tapping directly through the head bolt hole, using it as the tap guide, is the hole will be consistent all the way through. It will be an "uninterupted" thread across the exhaust passage. Again, Good Luck!
Gary,
If I understand correctly, I would not disturb the existing threads in the block. I would enlarge the hole in the exhaust passage with the appropriate drill size and run the tap thru the head bolt hole across the exhaust passage. If the hole is not dead center would I run the risk of breaking the tap?
Please explain how I get an interference fit.(not drilling completely through?)
I ordered a 1/16 NPT tap and plugs. I know it's the best solution if I am able to do it.
I also was thinking of tapping the small hole and using a 10-24 set screw in conjuction with the plug for the larger hole. Do you think that will work?
Bob
dono50 is offline   Reply With Quote