View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #32
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: alternator purchase

So why are alternators better?

They can only put out more power then the generator if the belt is tight enough. I have never seen a tight belt on a Model A installation. So just how much can it out put????? Do not forget it will eat belts with the very small diameter pulley.
Let us crack open our V-belt alternator manuals and go to tighten the belt specs. You are supposed to crank the belt down super tight. In fact, it is likely that even then you do not have the belt as tight as the spec says if you had the gauge. Then you would also have a huge contact area between the belt and pulley. If you could move the alt fan with your fingers then the belt was loose. Remember the squealing belt when it got wet and it was trying to crank out full power to charge the battery after start???
So please tell me how the alternator is supposed to put out its rated power when you can not get enough friction on the belt to pulley?
Again, I have NEVER found an alternator mounted on the A where you could not turn the pulley with your finger. I have even found one where the pulley would spin.

On the other hand, the generator, when properly rebuilt will outlast your grandchildren. It has more than enough power to do most of your needs, including running halogen headlamps. For those who do not wish figure out charge rates you can install a modern regulator.

I am amazed at the BS the people who make up and sell alternators will tell people. I remember listening to NuRex hawking their crap. From their yapping you would think the A never had a good charging system. But then they are in business to make money.
Then all the catalogs are telling you that you need bright halogen headlamps. Oh and while you are at it pick up an alternator too.

So far the only case for needing a alternator I know of is those who put AC on their cars. The alternator is poor solution to not much of a real problem. It is sold on the ideal of lots of current, when in actual installations the belt is too loose to give out anywhere near the rated current.

This is not about keeping the A correct. This is about the facts. And the fact is the alternator is not better for almost all applications except the pocket of the guy selling them. There are much more effective, reliable and solutions that save you money.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote