Thread: ethanol
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #32
huddy

Default Re: ethanol

If you really want to remove the ethanol, there's a fairly simple way and it doesn't require buying hi-test. It takes advantage of ethanol's affinity to water:

Get a six or larger gallon can but only fill it with 5 gallons. Compute the gallons of ethanol in the gas (0.5 gal for 10%, 0.75 for 15%). Measure & add that amount of CLEAN water. Cap the can & shake vigorously. Let stand for several hours. The water will mix with the ethanol and separate, then the lighter gas will float above it. Carefully decant the gas thru a chamois or similar water-blocking filter.

The only problem is that you will end up with slightly lower octane fuel than you started with, in addition to having paid for 5 gallons but only ending up with 4+ usable. This means that if you pay $3.85 per gallon it really cost you at least $4.28. It might be cheaper to just buy the "real" stuff if it's available.

By the way, a carburetor rebuild guy told me that the worst problem with gasohol is that the ethanol prevents it from atomizing properly, and thus you don't get as fine a mixture. I don't claim to know the validity of this myself. I do know that my old engines don't seem to run as well on gasohol.
huddy is offline   Reply With Quote