Thread: StartsByItself
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
TudooR31

Default StartsByItself

I've been having some random dropping dead episodes while driving on my '31. Ignition would just stop but I generally was able to restart within a few seconds. Thought I traced it down to a new coil & cap I purchased. They were a loose fit on the coil lead cable and though the cable would not fall out of the coil, I figured that was causing the ignition to cut out suddenly & randomly. Put in the old coil & cap and she's run fine for over 200 miles... then had another ignition stall last night at 35 mph. The lights stay bright and the amp meter is centered. So it's slowing down to around 25 mph. I put in the clutch, retard the timing and before I touch the starter, the engine starts running again. I'm still coasting in 3rd gear with the clutch in and the motor just comes back to life. I let out the clutch and continue home dumbfounded. All the battery cables are new. Cables routed away from any moving clutch/brake arms. Shut-off switch mounted on starter is new. Safety switch is new. All connections are tight. Condenser & points are new. Ignition switch & cable are new. Good gas flow to new Zenith carb. Tank is clean. Alternator is new. Thought the carb might of had some clogged passages/jets but runs perfectly on a friend's model A. So I'm running out of weird situations that could make an engine quit, then start running by itself.
TudooR31 is offline   Reply With Quote