View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #21
[email protected]

Default Re: '26 and '21 getting ready for spring

Went over to Andy's shop this afternoon to put my flywheel together. Got all the magnets bolted on with the spools, plates and brass screws in place. Was mounting the center shaft on and had 3 bolts in and drawn down. Andy went to put the last bolt in and it wouldn't tighten. The threads were stripped out the full depth of the threads. So we had a little conversation and decided the best thing for me to do was grab a different flywheel from under the bench, bead blast it and start all over again. So I got one side blasted down at Andy's and tomorrow I'll finish it up here at home. Then I'm going to sit in the door of the shop with the flywheels side by side and start switching parts over. I guess it's just one more glitch in a one long endless line of glitches. I'm starting to realize I would have been time and money ahead to just start this project with the whole idea of a total restore of the running gear. And if things continue to go as they are I might just go ahead and do it. It's just that last fall when the magneto went to hell the motor was running so strong. It wasn't using any oil, though everywhere I went it would mark it's territory. If anything, it needs a decent set of gaskets on the oil pan. I'm a little concerned with the rearend and thought it would be a good idea to look at what it would take to rebuild it.

I remember when I rebuilt my '38 Ford pickup running gear I spent day after day feeling like I would never get it finished. And then all of a sudden I had it done and I was driving it around the yard. The battery was held in with haywire and I also used haywire for the throttle. I was really happy because everything worked exactly as it should. I'm thinking I've got a day like that coming in the future and I'm really looking forward to getting to it.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote