View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #37
Earle

Default Re: To Babbit or Not To Babbit vs Inserted??

Are you guys distinguishing between insert jobs on both rods and mains vs. on rods only for needing a pressurized system? When we discussed inserts in an earlier thread a while back, I recall many guys not being pressurized when only the rods are inserted and having excellent performance and bearing life. And the tipping point for needing pressurization was when the mains are inserted along with the rods.

I just spent the big bucks getting AER inserted-rods installed by Schwalms. I pressed Ora hard on the need for pressurization because I was not about to spend that kind of money and have the inserts fail for lack of pressurization - especially when they fail so catastrophically. He maintains his very-experienced position that pressure is not needed when only the rods are inserted and the mains remain babbitted.

The hobby as a whole now seems to have accumulated a lot of experience with this configuration and Ora has done many engines this way with zero problems. So I took the leap of well-informed faith. I saw Kohnke's photos showing the results of dirt contamination and am doubly glad I have always run a full-flow oil filter. - Plus a good hi-volume air filter on the carb. (Road dust is NOT our friend.)

Kohnke: Curious: How did that much "dirt" (what kind?) get into that engine in the first place?

'Got about 3000 miles on the rod inserts so far in all kinds of operating conditions (except racing and mountain climbing!) and the old girl is as happy as can be. The car's doing really well too! (that was a joke...). I use Shell Rotella 15W40 motor oil with 500-mile changes for a belt-and-suspenders approach to babying my engine.

And always having gone only to Schwalms for all my engine and drive train work over the years is the rest of my "security blanket."
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote