View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: To Babbit or Not To Babbit vs Inserted??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
AHH... OK.

I was going by memory, thought you guys did a complete re-build. Looked pretty good from the posts as I recall.

From reading all of the posts on this subject, it seems like it would be hard to decide exactly which way to go. If you did a lot of long distance touring, inserts? If you are like me and put less than 400-500 miles a year on a Model A, original babbitt? Babbitt (not Costello's friend) worked well all of these years. As someone else commented, the insert technology didn't exist during Model A's reign (at least in the low priced car field?) Our '36 Ford pickup has a 59AB flattie of course with inserts and pressurized, and I think nothing of running IT 55 MPH really buzzes along. With a higher rear-end it would be even better!!!

Hope Mark finds his late '31 block.
Jeff, they are inserts all right, but are babbitt lined inserts, and thick compaired to modern inserts. Some were also copper- lead, in which didn't work out to well the way I understand. As I here from other engine builders, some builders quit doing babbitt, and went to inserts, because they couldn't keep their babbitt jobs in. Anyway, the key to longevity with inserts in any motor is oil pressure, and Filtration. Here is what inserts look like when dirt goes through the bearings, less then a 100 miles, and as Kev says, it was towed home. Herm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Failed Model A inserts 001.jpg (43.8 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg Failed Model A inserts 002.jpg (35.2 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Failed Model A inserts 004.jpg (35.8 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg Failed Model A inserts 005.jpg (30.3 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Failed Model A inserts 007.jpg (39.7 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Failed Model A inserts 008.jpg (49.9 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by Kohnke Rebabbitting; 02-07-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote