View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Every wonder why late model cars don't run an amp gauge

Jim Parker originally posted this question in another thread. I thought it was a good questiona nd I thought it best to start another thread.

These are my thoughts and I have no basis of fact to back them up.

Lazyness, well maybe that is the wrong word. As the automobile became a everyday item of use by the American public, and the roads became better and even designed for pleasure drives (Parkways), repair shops also became more common. The skills/tools of the mechanics increased so the indicators changed as well. From guages with needles to "idiot" lights.

The ampmeter is actually a very valuable tool already installed in our A's. If your car won't start you can see the points open and close by looking at the meter. Are your brake lights working? Put your foot on the brake and see the discharge increase. Same for head lights. Does your horn not work, push the button and watch the amp meter, if it moves and the horn not sound the wiring to the horn is most likley good or at least you don't have an open. (The 30-30 meters don't move as much as the 20-20 meters)

A volt meter, you have correct voltage is about the only thing it can tell you.