View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Wind Wing for 31 Roadster

Many of us have experienced what you are suggesting before and what I think most folks will tell you is they do look good in the beginning but even using Lexan tends to see them "haze" up over time where they do not look good (sparkling clear like glass).

I can also tell you that if safety glass is used, even if they do fall out there is not really much chance for danger. Often times I have seen/heard where they just fall out and land on the running board are the car is being driven down the road. If they hit the pavement, they do shatter but the safety glass plastic core does hold the shards together. What I think could be dangerous is if plate glass was used in this application.

There are several things a person can do using repro mounts that will help keep them properly secured too. One is tape off the glass with masking tape and then mount the glass marking it with a felt tip pen. Then using an Exacto knife, cut around where the mounting tabs clamp the glass and then remove that tape. Using a coarse media in the beadblaster, etch the glass on both sides. On the mounting tabs, using a rotary grinder (Dremel Tool) carefully relieve some of the area inside the tabs so the clamping surface area in just the outer edges of the clamp. Then use glass setting tape along with rear-view mirror adhesive to glue the setting rubber to the metal clamps. With the etched glass and the rubber now firmly attached, they are quite strong and will stay in place.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)