View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 02:39 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Opinion Re Differential Gear Ratio

Bob, I think with the right camshaft and engine package, a 3.27 will be just fine. I have installed both 3.54 and 3.27 gear sets in customer's vehicles. The biggest thing I think that dictates which is better is more about whether it is city or country driving, -and who you are traveling with. If you are in a group of 3 or 4 Model-As that have stock ratios, you generally will find yourself not like a 3.27 simply because you are not in sync with their shift points. If you are by yourself on a rural road, then a 3.27 is a great combination.

Something I want you to think about, ...three of my Model-Ts have a 3.00 rear gear ratio with 30x3.5 rear tires, and my Depot Hack has a 3.25 ratio with 21" tires. All of my engines are basically the same with 6.0 compression ratio, a 280" lift camshaft, an oversized intake manifold and a stock carburetor. Realistic horsepower with my combination is probably in the mid-thirty range. While all of these cars have a Ruckstell (two-speed) rear axle which gives me 4 forward gears vs. a Model-A's 3 gears, I can cruise 48-50 mph all day long in my cars. Those that know me know that I have toured extensively with my cars, -been up to Mt. Rushmore, been up & down the N. England state mountains, all over the Blue Ridge Parkway, Kentucky and W Virginia mountains, and many places in-between. I have never had a mountain that I could not pull.

My point is my engine and gearing combination is not unique as there are many others with similar engines and rear ends. If a Model-T with an inch or so larger diameter rear tire can pull a 3.0 Ring & Pinion, then a Model-A with an engine making twice the horsepower and at least 30% more torque should be able to capably pull a 3.27 gear ratio, ...even if it is a Sedan weighing 1,000 pound more. Now before someone suggests that 50mph is different than 60mph, its not that my cars can't do 60, but more about that I run out of brakes & steering in my Ts before I run out of power. I would strongly consider a 3.27 if you are going to touring by yourself, -or with others who have similar gear sets.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote