View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 11:26 AM   #18
Rob Doe

Default Re: Distributor wiring

Thanks for the graphic, Mr. Bidonde. When I first saw this in the past, I soon checked the resistance on our coupe's engine ignition ground path. I probed the ground side of the points and the positive battery post as you describe. As I recall, the resistance was a fraction of an ohm and a small one at that.

Our motor was a fresh overhaul 3.5 years ago. I've had the distributor out 3 times since then. When I do, I use some 320 wet dry sandpaper to clean and lightly scuff the boss around the base of the distributor and the small one around the locating dowel pin, even the lower part of the casting that drops into the head. I do the outer surface of the hole in the head too.

I smear a shadow, not a coating, just a shadow of conductive / carbonized grease on these surfaces to retard any formation of corrosion. The ground and cable connections at the frame and battery get the same. Haven't had any ground issues yet.