View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 12:14 PM   #102
petehoovie

Default Re: 276 stroker from 35 years of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
This type of advice is very helpful. Thank you. I do however have a plan B and am at that fork in the road. I have sorted and chosen my valves very carefully, some would say 'obsessively'. I settled on 12 exhausts and 12 intake style so I can make a few newbie errors in grinding. I have 10 more exhaust type with good thick margins and great stems but they are too short, having stems ground in the past. I cannot imagine a lash cap short enough. The exhausts I've picked are suitable, but If I use adjustables I could then introduce the 10 shorties into the mix and use the thinner margin exhaust valves as intakes. The adjustables pictured here have had the bottom buffed on top of an old oily piece of scothchbrite and I think they look better than the solids do on the bottom. Going one step further I recall a post by fellow obsessor who used adjustables and with measuring set them up with loctite as 'semi-adjustable'. If I err on the long side I could do a light grind on the stem when needed. Sooo, any comments on the condition of these used adjustables and my plan B? If I take the other fork I will send the solids to Pete.
In closing, yes, I could just go and buy all new valve components and take all this stuff to the scrapyard as I'm planning a run next month anyhow. I coulda made a lot of dough in the woodshop and paid for the new parts twice. But do we ask the avid fisherman to tally the price of his gleaming new boat, the moorage, the fuel, insurance, bait and depreciation? Heck, this dude walks right by the fish market where salmon is a mere 20.00 lb. And besides, I love working in my new shop annex....... oops, forgot the pics, will add

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)