View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 02:56 PM   #1
Blindhuckster

Default 1937 21 Stud Oil pan front and rear seal and gasket clarification.

Getting ready to install my oil pan and need some clarification on the front and rear seal and pan rail gaskets. Bought a Best Brand gasket set from Third Gen. I installed the rope seal in the front cover and left it a little proud. So, my first question, now that I have the lower side of the engine upright, I see that the pan gasket covers the ends of the rope seal. Should I leave them proud or cut them flush and use a dab of RTV sealant there. Second question is on the rear cork pan gasket seal that fits into the groove in the rear main cap. The old seal that I removed, was flush with the pan rail on both sides and it seemed to do a good job, as I had very little if any oil leaking into the flywheel clutch end of the pan. When I lay the new gasket (as you can see from the pictures) on the pan rail, the tab on the gasket is too wide to fit in the groove in the rear main cap, and even if it did fit, it pushes the gasket sideways, causing it to not line up with the oil pan bolts holes. So that being said. What is the correct position of these gaskets. I would assume that the cork seal in the groove of the main bearing cap should be flush to the pan rail, as before, and the oil pan gasket should be cut off to meet that gasket with a dab of RTV to seal that area. Is this correct? Or do I need to modify the pan rail gasket to make the tab fit the grove in the rear main cap and have the cork gasket from the cap rest or sit on top of the pan rail gasket? As always, thanks Nate Anello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1316.jpg (46.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1317.jpg (51.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1318.jpg (50.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1319.jpg (46.1 KB, 116 views)
Blindhuckster is offline   Reply With Quote