Thread: Sealed beams
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 09:16 AM   #8
David in San Antonio

Default Re: Sealed beams

Note there are two types of LED headlamps. One has an array of LEDs with no optical system. This kind uses the reflector / focus / lens of the original system. Therefore any defects (tarnished reflector, for example) will compromise its performance. Because there is no standard quantity nor arrangement of the LEDs this kind also may or may not replicate the original light pattern within the bucket. This is critical to performance. The original incandescent lamp’s output was more or less omnidirectional, and the system of reflector, focusing mechanism, and lens were designed as part of that system.
The other type, manufactured by LogoLite and available from the usual distributors, is a complete, self-contained optical system. The condition of the reflector and focus system have no effect on its performance. If installed correctly it should not dazzle oncoming traffic. These cost about $50 each.
My experience with them has been positive with no drawbacks. I like not having to worry if a side trip means driving the Wretched Roadster home through the Texas Hill Country when it’s very dark. I also appreciate the very low current draw; when switched on, the ammeter barely moves. One man’s opinion.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote