View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 09:06 AM   #13
BlueNotes

Default Re: Narrow V8 Rear Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948 View Post
I try and lay out all the information I can but things in I post get missed. I already have about 1,500 into Lincoln/Bendix Brakes. This in fact is the whole problem, those brakes add 1.5-2” per side, I was ok until I put them on. I have this mocked up right now and it’s pretty darn clear that it’s not going to work unless. I trade off travel or don’t lower it as I want to. Good info bored. Unfortunately there is absolutely zero information supplied with the Lincoln brakes to inform the prospective buyer that the brakes will add width. I painted them before mockup (lesson learned) so I can’t return them. I really wanted disc brakes but had to give up on them because they would add width and I knew I didn’t have room for it.

The added width caused by your Lincoln/Bendix hubs and brake drums with 2" shoes from Boling Brothers is obviously the main reason for not getting the wheels tucked under the fenders.

Have you considered, or tried, to use the Ford 1935 rear drums together with the Boling B "Lincoln" backing plates on your model A axle? The width of the '35 drums is 3.50" (vs 3.75" Ford 1940-48 rear drums), and they are the last year for use with wire wheels. However, you have to replace the 2" shoes with 1.75" shoes and use 1928-35 wheel bearings, but everything else in the Boling B "Lincoln" backing plate kit should be okay to use.
BlueNotes is offline   Reply With Quote