View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 05:05 PM   #1
Heard

Default Oil capacity clarification

As I continue on my 10 year refurb of my pickup, I'm finally ready to try to start the engine, an 8BA that I had Gary Sharkey (GosFast) build for me a few years ago. Of course I want to be sure I have good oil pressure before actually starting the engine.

I have read a number of threads regarding oil capacity. The only thing that seems certain from my limited research is that it seems there is not a very definitive answer.

As I started to fill the crankcase with oil, I carefully measured the amount going in. I filled the oil filter as best I could which is a remote spin on type, dumped some down towards the oil pump and then started filling normally. When I got to 3 quarts, it registered full on the dipstick. I don't believe for a second that 3 qts. is enough oil, but what is going on?

The dipstick I have is a reproduction I believe but I'm not sure. It is marked on the dipstick as being 8BA. I believe the pan is for an 8BA but again, I'm not certain. My coupe has a dipstick marked as 8RT which, if I used this dipstick, would allow me to add another quart before registering full. BUT...the coupe also has a different pan on it.

Can someone please point me in the right direction on this? I don't want to screw this up.

Thanks,
Heard