View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 09:23 AM   #24
lyleknievel

Default Re: V8 Clutch in Model A: Something is not right

The measurement from the flywheel plane to the pressure plate plane (with no clutch disk installed) is ~ 0.140". I got a friend to measure the same dimension on his V8 pressure plate and it was 5/16 (0.313). I called Bratton's and the person measured one off the shelf and it was 0.185". And so if I take the bratton's measurement, that is still 0.045" more than the one I have. And the design of the fingers give about 5:1 ratio on movement of the throwout bearing to movement of the plate...which means my throwout bearing would have to move 0.225" farther towards the engine to get the same release of the clutch. And so this is enough to explain why the fingers were having interference with the clutch disk.
Bottom Line -- I think the V8 Pressure Plate Assembly that I have is not right.
Bratton's agreed to exchange it for a new one, but I have already had this one balanced to the flywheel and so I am inclined to just shim the pressure plate out from the flywheel using some precision washers. I have not started that process yet, but that is what I plan to do at this point.
lyleknievel is offline   Reply With Quote