View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 03:34 PM   #47
GB SISSON

Default Re: Back end of a T-5

Gary and I have discussed his kit by way of PM a couple of times. If I were to buy a kit, it would be from him without a doubt. But somehow, against all better judgement and practical reasoning I decided to make this thing myself. I have now drilled and tapped the four 1/2" bolts that hold the hogs head to the 1"plate. That was the last major operation involved and frankly I was a bit nervous about it. I made a stepped drill guide to center the 17/64" drill bit into the factory clearanced holes in the hogs head and drilled them with it's bearing retainer securly bolted in plate as a locater. After drilling the pilot I put my tap into the drill press and rotated the chuck with a steel rod by hand to start the tap straight and cut about 5 threads in. I DID keep my super snug recess intact for a tight fit on the T5's retainer as added insurance. So far, I am quite happy with how it has come out even though it makes little sense. Heck, some folks train for a year and spend a month to climb a mountain "Because it was there". How much more ridiculous is that?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote