View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 10:49 AM   #14
Sprattman

Default Re: Ujoint gaskets for 1947 Ford

Thanks everyone. Great advice.

After a successful install after exhaustive hours, pulling the transmission/rear end is truly a puzzle, with the intricacies of the clam shells and that horrible to fit cork gasket (I really understand the neoprene suggestion!), spline fitting, jacking up rear end of engine, bracket fitting, etc. My replacement support bracket is different from the original and has caused a few headaches as it sits differently, has hard rubber insets and the bolts spin, and very difficult to get a wrench on bottom to bolt things up.

All back together now and the Test Run had some good and bad. Good: clutch plate running smooth and when putting into gear, only one back wheel turned. Will check on gear oil for that and look at brakes of other wheel. Bad: major squealing noise when engaging the clutch. I'm thinking that it's the clutch release bearing. It's brand new (came with the clutch) and so is the hub with new spring. Did I put it on backwards (does it matter?). It felt like it went one way to fit into the hub. Do I need to add grease somewhere that I didn't add to already? Feels like I failed at this with such a loud noise coming when engaging the clutch! Here is a link to see this: https://youtu.be/MJl_WhUF9sk?si=V87tvpMgov5mgVz3
Sprattman is offline   Reply With Quote