View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 03:43 AM   #6
FortyNiner

Default Re: Public Service Announcement: Avoiding Ethanol

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't believe ethanol is a big meanie lurking just out of reach. While not perhaps the best use of resources, it is a reality in the US as long as politicians are seeking votes.

My flatheads seem to be perfectly content on regular ethanol containing pump gas.

The more practical consequence of the shared hose dispensing pump is getting something other than what is expected. My DD requires premium (93 octane) and I habitually track my mileage. On occasion, the per tank mpg drops by 10 to 15% from the norm despite a seemingly unchanged driving practice. Correspondingly, when ethanol free premium is available, popular in certain areas with active motor sport communities, my per tank mpg is favorably affected - the exact result is dependent on the amount of ethanol containing fuel already in the car. Two possibilities explain the occasional mpg drop: either the ethanol mix ratio is incorrect at some stations (seems a bit too conspiratorial) or I'm getting served using a shared hose. This video just helps make sense of my experience.

Your mileage may vary.