View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 08:21 AM   #5
Joe K

Default Re: Model B engine in an A

The Model B engine benefits from the stronger bottom end. But its challenged by a weaker upper end (cracks)

Most if not all of the horsepower difference between the two engines is in the "appurtences," specifically cam grind, carburetor, intake manifold. Other than these the two engines are similar.

My own experience with a Model B engine involves the Gordon-Smith air compressor conversion. Made for use with either A or B, the usual setup used the Model B engine which benefits by having "automatic" (centrifugal) advance with the Model B distributor - a benefit for an engine subject to load-no load operation (i.e. air compressor)

My particular Model B engine has a crack between the No. 2 exhaust port and the cylinder wall - a common location. It may have been chosen for this adaptation because the Gordon-Smith head has "filler pieces" designed to raise the cylinder compression by filling the space above the intake/exhaust valves, and the crack would normally be "covered" by the filler piece. I'm not sure of the "compression" of that gasket type filler.

Still, I have operated it in this condition for a fair amount of sandblasting but look to have the engine "lock & stitched" to cover/close the crack - and be sure.

Most information I have learned indicate this is VERY possible, but best done by someone with some experience.

Joe K