Thread: Steering
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 05:53 PM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Steering

Synchro909 -
If you have not yet experienced a two-tooth steering box, you will love its adaptability as time and usage move on. You can actually make periodic adjustments to compensate for wear, something one cannot do with the seven-tooth design to any serious degree. Team this up with a shortened pitman arm, Teflon steering plug bushings and proper lube, and you will have achieved the best that can be expected from a 100+ year-old steering design. I left the fold years ago regarding the needle bearing steering housing conversion due to the horror stories concerning bruiniling into the sector shaft. But over the winter, I reluctantly rebuilt a local Model A owner's two-tooth box with the supplied needle bearing conversion he insisted upon installing. I know all the arguments against making this conversion, but I was reminded afterwards how much easier the sector shaft turned inside the needle bearings versus inside bronze bushings. I doubt that most of us will ever drive our Model A's long enough to really see the effect of this so-called bruiniling of the needle bearings into the sector shaft. Like anything else that moves, these parts must be kept lubricated or problems will undoubtedly develop.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 03-18-2024 at 06:02 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote