View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 11:32 PM   #14
Pete
BANNED

Default Re: Donovan 4 Cylinder

Many years ago I had a friend that was a professional student.
He had inherited money when in high school and did not have to work after he finished 6 years of college in electrical engineering. He had an extremely high IQ and was always seeking knowledge of any kind. I met him at the local ham radio club.
By professional student, I mean after he finished getting a Phd in EE he enrolled in getting a degree in mechanical engineering. He was always going to school. He was always working part time in the trade he was studying and while not always pursuing the work aspect of life with complete interest he figured it was helping to reduce the time required to get the degree. He was always looking forward to more schooling.
Later in middle age and after he had quit going to school with 6 degrees in, I don't remember them all, except that one was law, he got a job teaching high level college mathematics.
He had always been interested in LSR and had been on my pit crew several times.
One time we had been talking over quite a few beers and the discussion got around to building a 4 cylinder engine that would absolutely meet the rules of the vintage class but would be so illegal rules intentwise, it was a joke.
After listening to his idea, I decided it was possible and within cost possibility, I told him I was not interested but we did talk about it for several years after that.
The main reason I was not interested was that while the rules would have to let it run if it showed up, (and it would have absolutely set a record so high it would never be reached unless with a similar engine) the rules for the next meet would have been changed before the current meet was half over.
And after that, it would be REAL boring if you knew you could win every time.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote