View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 07:25 PM   #20
pbsdaddy

Default Re: Stories from the past

I was 14 when my dad said I could have the 51 4 door deluxe to play with. I did. The next year, my brother-in-law sold me his 53 club coupe for $10. Both of them would up being towed to the scrap yard. A few years later, I have just graduated high school and by chance, wind up working as an apprentice at the local Ford dealer, (Stanly Grey Motors, in Mars, Pa.). I was driving my dad's car back and for to work so one of the mechanics, (Bob Kennedy), asked me if I might be interested in buying a car he had. He was going to turn it into a dirt track stock car, but felt it was too good to cut it up. At lunch, we drove the couple miles to his shop and I saw it setting outside. The bright, "School Bus Orange" was hard to miss. But it was a beaut. 35 3 window from California. No rust, solid. It had been converted to 40 Ford juice brakes and wheels. Other than that, stock as it could be. My girlfriend hated it. To the point of being embarrassed to be seen in it. The generator was bad, so, rather then get it fixed, or buy a replacement, (what did I know), I carried a spare battery with me. I'd charge them both at night and be good for the day. I had it for about 15 months when the bug hit me to get something else. Of course, trying to impress my girlfriend had nothing to do with my decision to buy a used 64.5 Mustang, from the dealer i had worked for. The last I heard, 20 years ago, the 35 was still in the area of Mars, Pa.
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote