View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 12:42 PM   #8
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: mixing brake shoe linings

It is a myth that bonded linings work better than woven linings on cast iron brake drums.
Braking efficiency is totally dependent on the applied input force, the coefficient of friction of the brake linings, heat transfer / heat dissipation and the mechanical condition of the brakes.
I have tried both linings on cast iron drums and I cannot tell the difference in stopping performance by the seat of my pants. However, the brake dust from the molded linings is too much to deal with if the car has light colored wheels. This indicates that the molded linings were wearing faster. I also found that bonded linings, when riveted to the shoes, have a tendency to crack at their attachment rivets. The only improvement of bonded linings over the woven linings is the precision the molded lining material can be arched to.

I went back to woven linings with cast irons drums, and I am pleased with their braking performance.
PS: I have Flathead Ted's Brake Floaters on my A's, and the improvement in braking is outstanding!

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 02-02-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote