View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 10:28 PM   #32
Superhart

Default Re: Do rivet nuts work?

After all this discussion about Rivet, and how sometimes they rotate in their mouth, I finally thought of a solution. I may not be the first one to think of this, but I haven’t seen anything in print about this method. I decided to a “keyway“ in the lip of the rivet I wanted to immobilize. Here’s how I did it:
I took a sharp punch and carefully made a dimple in the flange of the rivet. I wanted to immobilize. I then cut length of paperclip to use as my “key“. I took an appropriate sized drillbit that would provide a snug fit for the paperclip. Taking a centerpunch, I put a dimple in the flange of the rivet so that my drill bit would not wander. I then carefully drilled through the flange of the rivet and the metal underneath I then coded the rivet with some clear five minute epoxy And worked the paperclip in and out of the drill hole a few times before leaving it in place while the epoxy set up. I let it sit overnight and the next morning I use a flush nipper to cut the paper clip off flush with the lip of the rivet. On a couple of rivet knots that were larger such as 3/8 inch I did two paperclip keys to ensure that I can tighten the screw to appropriate tightness. It’s only been a few days since I did this but so far everything seems to be working just fine.
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote