Thread: Carb Icing
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2024, 02:33 PM   #9
ford38v8

Default Re: Carb Icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmac View Post
Here is a photo of my engine just after coming back from dipping. Are the two circular holes in the middle of the inlet manifold gasket face water or exhaust gas ports to heat the inlet manifold? This photo was 10 years ago and I never checked! The engine is an 81A, came over to England as lend lease in 1942.
Correct, those are exhaust crossovers that go up through the intake manifold, then down to the opposite side. As cylinders fire, exhaust is pushed back and forth in those runs, which heats the fuel charge, and also the carburetor above. Earlier manifolds for Stromberg carburetors had a hole directly to the base of the carb, but manifolds intended for use with 94 carbs crossed over below, not having direct access to the base of the carb.
I live in sunny California, never having to deal with extreme cold weather, so the icing never happened to me. Right now the weather here is sunny and mild, while much of the country is below zero Brrr! so I guess the heat risers are needed in those places!