Thread: Damaged Babbitt
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 09:18 PM   #11
Synchro909

Default Re: Damaged Babbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41blueoval View Post
The main journals are .001 out of round. Rear journal is 1.618 and 1.619. Spec is 1.624
That is too much ovality. I'm afraid an engine rebuild is in your near future and if I were you, I'd have those bronze thrust rings installed as mentioned earlier at that time and better still, switch to inserted bearings. Now is the time to add counter weights too. The engine will run smoother and last longer. The inserts come in 0.010" undersize increments. You would have the crank shaft reground to 0.010 undersize and go from there. To me, that is a no brainer but I'm sure others will have their own thoughts. Brace yourself!
Another alternative and probably the best one (which will cost you about the same as rebuilding that engine) is to do as nkaminar suggests. I would also strongly suggest you install an oil filter and use an oil lighter than 20W50 (which many use).
By the look of that bearing, to continue driving it, you run a serious risk of causing severe damage to the crank shaft and maybe more.
PS If you decide to go with inserts, I highly recommend cutting a groove in the top one just like you have in the Babbit to get oil tot he back of the bearing. They need this modification to last.

Last edited by Synchro909; 01-02-2024 at 03:32 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote