View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 03:34 PM   #27
jrelliott

Default Re: Classtique Upholstery

You all are correct about problem solving skills and hands on experience. In 7th grade wood shop learned graphic design by doing mechanical drawings. Being able to see a 2 dimensional drawing and translating into a solid is a learned skill. Took wood shop in 7th and 8th grade. Still use a lot of those skills today as have a cabinet shop. Had to take two semesters of mechanical drawing in college for degree in EE/Computer science. After two years of college, dropped out and went into the Navy for Electronics Technician. The Navy taught us excellent trouble shooting skills. After the Navy was working at a small electronics company where we were taught how to use a vertical mill, metal lathe and various other tools. Got recruited by IBM as a technician, and eventually got a degree in EE/Computer science. In rebuilding my A, learned upholstery, welding, and painting. Had learned about cars as a youngster with my father's help. Not every kid is college material. There are very many trades where you can earn a good living and be able to leave work and not think about the job the next day. Myself ended up as a engineer designing tests for ASIC computer chips which were on the cutting edge of technology. Looked forward to going into work each day for the challenges that I would encounter. Wish there was a way to instill that enthusiasm on the younger generation. You are correct that it is the parents that have created the younger folks that have no goals, or work ethic, and want hand outs. Lets go back to the principal, no work-no free meal.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote