View Single Post
Old 11-27-2023, 12:25 PM   #20
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Claim of 25% HP bump true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928 Sport Coupe View Post
I would like to install a High Compression head in either 5.5:1 or 6:1 such as Snyders, a "B" cam, a "B" carb, and a bored out "A" intake. If I were to use new poured Babbitt mains and rods would that be sufficient for the improvements I want to do? Which head would be the better choice, the 5.5:1 or 6:1? I have been told any HC head could destroy the center main bearing if you drive it at all aggressively. I would just like to be able to keep up with traffic when needed.
As far as I know this is the original 35K miles engine in the car (1930 Town Sedan) and I would like to keep it in the car. This way I could always return it to stock.

Thanks
Higher compression and other things that make more power CAN be harder on bearings, BUT don't if you ease back on the ignition timing a bit, which does 2 things. 1) it prevents detonation and 2) is needed because the fuel will be burning faster so is more apt to knock (detonate) Also, driving down the road takes exactly as much power with or without more power, so most driving will not affect the babbitt or anything else.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote