View Single Post
Old 10-30-2023, 05:24 PM   #5
Synchro909

Default Re: Pros and cons of installing needle bearings in the 7-tooth steeringbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am going too add a tad more on this...

From my experiences, the Sector shaft surface is not hardened deep enough to provide support for the roller bearings. This causes the surface to become rippled since the needle bearing rollers are harder.

The problem that most rebuilders create when using plain bearing (a/k/a Bushing) is they do not size them correctly to the Sector shaft. Ideally these plain bearing/bushings need to be power reamed to size, -however most people use an adjustable hand-reamer to fit the bushing size. Under a microscope this creates a bearing surface that looks much akin to the teeth on a hacksaw blade. These pointed peaks do not have sufficient surface area to support the Sector, so they prematurely wear. As these peaks wear, the bushing size enlarges causing less area that is actually supporting the Sector shaft (so the friction is greater). Additionally, it can cause the Sector teeth to slightly misalign on the Steering Shaft Worm which also creates additional stress when turning.

You asked what you will gain. Generally speaking, an oil leak.
I agree with that comment 100%. Moving to another application for reaming bushes on our Model As, I ream the king pin bushes till they are a bit too tight, then use the part of the old king pin that is clamped in the axle to lap them to the right size using valve lapping paste. A good clean up and they are better than would ever be possible with a reamer.