View Single Post
Old 10-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Pros and cons of installing needle bearings in the 7-tooth steeringbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Ottosen View Post
Hi everyone.
I have questions regarding installing needle bearings in the 7-tooth box.
The boring of the sector housing excluded, what are the pros and cons of the needle bearings?
- Is it more difficult to adjust?
- Is easier to steer at a stand still?
- What do I gain if I install them?
I am going too add a tad more on this...

From my experiences, the Sector shaft surface is not hardened deep enough to provide support for the roller bearings. This causes the surface to become rippled since the needle bearing rollers are harder.

The problem that most rebuilders create when using plain bearing (a/k/a Bushing) is they do not size them correctly to the Sector shaft. Ideally these plain bearing/bushings need to be power reamed to size, -however most people use an adjustable hand-reamer to fit the bushing size. Under a microscope this creates a bearing surface that looks much akin to the teeth on a hacksaw blade. These pointed peaks do not have sufficient surface area to support the Sector, so they prematurely wear. As these peaks wear, the bushing size enlarges causing less area that is actually supporting the Sector shaft (so the friction is greater). Additionally, it can cause the Sector teeth to slightly misalign on the Steering Shaft Worm which also creates additional stress when turning.

You asked what you will gain. Generally speaking, an oil leak.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote