View Single Post
Old 10-27-2023, 01:54 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: silicone head gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
Glad to hear you had good luck with your installations. I however did not and it was not the mechanics fault.

I followed the directions, no sealer. Re-surfaced block and head. After 5k mi, I ended up with a combustion gasses in the cooling system and red silicone in the radiator.

I think we can all agree the failure rate is quite high with this gasket (Snyders Part #A-6051-M) and it is prudent to advise against the use of it.

I guess I don't see it that way, ...and that's ok. Many over the years have used this gasket successfully without any trouble. If every one of these gaskets was a failure, they would have been removed from the market. Especially by the vendor you are referring to.

My take... If you were able to travel 5k miles, was it really the gasket's fault? I say No. Likely the cylinder head lost its clamping pressure to the block for some reason. Many ways this could happen. Thinking about this, ...lets assume this engine traveled an average of 30 mph for 4,500 miles before the failure ever began. That is somewhere around 150 hours of engine operation without a problem. Think about that, ...that is a long, long time. My vote it was something other than the head gasket caused the failure yet the gasket gets the blame.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote