View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 10:08 AM   #1
82AModelA

Default Model A Engine Intermittent - help I need an adult

I am in desperate search of a Model A expert... I have a '29 Model A with an issue I can't seem to fix. I need someone more familiar with A's, as I am not - this is the only one I have ever worked with.

When the engine is running, it will periodically start running rough - the keyword here is "periodically". I have a clear cap on the distributor and can observe that, during this event of running rough, it is not firing consistently. Also, if it happens to die during this event, it is flooded.

However, it is not always running rough. It will usually alternate between running rough for about ten seconds and it will come back around and run perfectly normal. When it is running correctly, it will accelerate perfectly fine and idle fine. In the rough condition, it will struggle to accelerate, and I can make it backfire like a rifle if I get really aggressive with it.

The event seems random to me. I cannot cause the event and I cannot make it come out of it through GAV or timing adjustments, or even the air mixture screw on the carburetor.

To keep it short, after all of the testing and trial and error I have done, the only thing that I have concluded is that for whatever reason it loses spark when it begins to run rough. I've tested my wiring according to the Les Andrews book multiple times and it always checks out fine.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm hoping someone might can point out something I'm overlooking. Like I said, I'm not a Model A expert.
82AModelA is offline   Reply With Quote