View Single Post
Old 09-04-2023, 02:46 PM   #34
big job

Default Re: spring spreader info or pics

ndnchf Most common portapowers come with only one wedge ya have to make one. I did try the porta power with car on lift and it exploded lots of force on springs, thats why I use a floor jack under the schackle little force because you are arching ONE side not TWO. And I did all with no help either. Hard to note that after cutting schackles off letting jack down how much the spring drops big time: Can't imagine a spreader spreading both sides thats wicked force, thats why a floor jack safe nothing will slip or fly at you try it with the car on the ground but with jack stands you see the car with tires still on the ground that is the weight needed transmitting this weight to the Jack..then the other side, drop U bolts and old spring drops down also with jack lowering the spring. I came upon this way being a kid changing a Model T spring never heard of a spring spreader then & did not have a floor jack only one of those jacks that had a crank..Now to install the hard part had to use plenty of heat to get the top threaded pins out,, surprise there is a hardened steel bushing in there, Mini air saw, chisel, nope finally had to blow it out with cutting torch carefully. This is the housing (top). I think it was first made that way, but my new Ford kit uses bubber bushings not steel. I think Ford replacements being rubber was a time savor for the dealer......sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote