View Single Post
Old 08-26-2023, 12:06 PM   #13
Dave in MN

Default Re: "New Engine" driven to Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay), Alaska

Greeting from Teslin, YT,
Thanks Terry for sharing a few details of my trip. I left Minnesota on July 15th and have logged over 9200 miles. Most of the miles have been trouble free. The back half of an exhaust system and the spare tire arm for a side mount are the only issues to date. I’m not home yet, I expect more. The Burtz block is pretty amazing. I built this car and camper to make this trip. The Burtz engine is the third engine I have run in it. The first was a B block with an overhead valve on it that had the intakes in the head and the exhaust valves in the block. It cracked after 5,300 miles. The second engine was a B block with a 7:1 flathead on it but after running an overhead valve head on it, the flathead just lacked the power to avoid aggravating other drivers behind me on hills. When the Burtz kits became available, I ordered one right away. When I received shipment, I knew it would stand up. The components are well thought out and manufactured. I purchased a Steve Serr Miller Hi-speed head along with some other specialized parts to complete it. I have had zero issues with the engine since it was installed in the car. I just passed the 30,000 mile mark on the engine this morning.
The car is fitted with a T5 transmission, hydraulic brakes, 1935 wheels, Coker Classic radials. This past winter, I replaced the dual Stromberg 81’s with a Holley Sniper 1100 throttle body EFI and improved my fuel economy by 3 mpg. I installed a 5 gallon belly tank to pump and circulate the fuel for the EFI. This component was untested for the trip so I am carrying a single Stromberg to replace the EFI should it fail. Not even a hiccup so far and it starts “right now” eveytime..

The trailer is my own design and manufacture. It opens like a clamshell with snap on canvas sides. The door swings down from the top when open. It is fitted with Model A brakes actuated by the weight of the trailer against the hitch pole. There is a pull out kitchen from the side of the camper. It weighs about 1,000 lbs fully loaded.

Another change to the route:
I just learned there is a wildfire at the north end of the Cassier highway, BC 37, this will change my route considerably if they won’t let me through.
I expect to be home by October 1.
I will check in when there is good internet coverage again.
Good Day!

If you did not see the sun rise, you have missed the best part of the day.

Last edited by Dave in MN; 08-26-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote