View Single Post
Old 08-26-2023, 07:47 AM   #37
Jim/GA

Default Re: Hello All Been lurkin for a few week ? about ammeter and alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraVeler View Post
I got a new altenator but its still running ammeter pinned at start then settles to 20 amps. I keep battery on trickle charger but the alternator still charges it right when i start it. This one wont idle like the other 2 either. Ive got it 2 clicks on the advance with the tester light but it stalls out with both levers up and sounds like its missing.
It sounds like you have a short somewhere, or a bad battery, or the ammeter is defective, or the car is not wired exactly correctly. What do you know about the battery condition? Have you had it tested?

By systematically testing and changing one thing at a time, you can isolate the problem.

Spark lever (left side) "up" is just for starting. Pull it half way down as soon as it starts. A bit more when you go to drive off.

Throttle lever (right side) needs to be down a few clicks to start a cold engine and keep it running. After it warms up (about 5 minutes) you should be able to push it up all the way. It will miss a bit when cold with the throttle lever all the way up.

If it is still missing when warmed up, it could be a dirty carburetor (from sitting), the GAV is set wrong, the carb idle mixture is set wrong, the spark plugs are dirty, a bad ignition condenser (can happen with just age), or the distributor point gap is incorrect. Check and change or adjust one thing at a time.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote