View Single Post
Old 08-19-2023, 09:02 AM   #3
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Possible causes of slow speed (5-15 mph) death wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Tim: I built 100's of 28-34 straight axle chassis during my 40+ years in business and have had a few with death wobble. All of these chassis used basically the same time tested new components with the proper geometry. I've only had a few with death wobble and that was usually caused by the customer not having everything adjusted right. I also think tires come into play. The worst death wobble I ever had was a 32 roadster I built using a Schroeder side steering box. Everything was adjusted right with 7 degrees of caster and 1/8th of toe in plus the Excelsior radials had 35 lbs of air in them. I finally contacted the Bones who had done quite a few this way and they said the only solution they found was a front end stabilizer. I know these are Poo-Poo on here but when I have used them successfully. Also the majority of the chassis I built never had a wobble problem. Check the heading death wobble on here, lots of opinions. I currently have 4 straight axle deuces and my 40 coupe in the museum and they all have stabilizers, not to solve a problem just because I feel they smooth out the road feedback a little bit.
Thanks, Gary. This issue is new to the car. Since built, I've hit various pot holes due to the poor state of NJ's roads and this hasn't happened before this week.

Curious, how did you attach the "dead end" of the stabilizer to the front end? The ones I've seen either have steel loops on both ends or a stud on the "dead" end. I'd really prefer not to drill into the axle.

Ironically, the front axle is really nice and I got it from you. LOL!!!!
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote