View Single Post
Old 08-19-2023, 08:53 AM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: Possible causes of slow speed (5-15 mph) death wobble

Tim: I built 100's of 28-34 straight axle chassis during my 40+ years in business and have had a few with death wobble. All of these chassis used basically the same time tested new components with the proper geometry. I've only had a few with death wobble and that was usually caused by the customer not having everything adjusted right. I also think tires come into play. The worst death wobble I ever had was a 32 roadster I built using a Schroeder side steering box. Everything was adjusted right with 7 degrees of caster and 1/8th of toe in plus the Excelsior radials had 35 lbs of air in them. I finally contacted the Bones who had done quite a few this way and they said the only solution they found was a front end stabilizer. I know these are Poo-Poo on here but when I have used them successfully. Also the majority of the chassis I built never had a wobble problem. Check the heading death wobble on here, lots of opinions. I currently have 4 straight axle deuces and my 40 coupe in the museum and they all have stabilizers, not to solve a problem just because I feel they smooth out the road feedback a little bit.

Last edited by Krylon32; 08-19-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)