Thread: A or B engine?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2023, 12:55 AM   #18
stickshift

Default Re: A or B engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey1930 View Post
Hey There,

So my engine is shot, low compression on 2 cilinders and babbit is coming lose.
Now I have 2 options that are available to me at the moment:

1 - I've found a model B engine. I can buy it for €1500 but I do not know the state of the crankshaft bearings. But I like the idea of the improved oil system.
If I go and see the engine I am allowed to take the head of.

2 - A rebuild A engine with insert bearings. I found an oldtimer (80+ yo) that does engines the way they used to do it. He does babbit and inserts so I have a choice. Price will be around €4750.

So besides the price difference I want to know what would be best future wise. I don't care that much about originality but just want a good running engine.

The other thing is is that I like to push the throttle sometimes as I attend beach races and oval tracks.

Like to hear what your advices are.
Joey, take your time and make an informed decision. If you decide your funds are limited, the "B" engine could be a viable option. If you are allowed to pull the head and inspect the valves, see if you can pull the oil pan and wiggle the piston rods for too much wear and look closely at the main bearings. It could be a "Diamond B" that allegedly has hardened exhaust valve seats. Some also have balanced crankshafts. These are aftermarket engines licensed by Ford for industrial applications. I found that my '31 truck has one and it's a workhorse. Plenty of people on this forum have B engines and no issue with cracking. Also "B" engines are 50 horsepower stock, instead of 40 horsepower like an "A". I'm not sure if you could feel the difference because I never really drove an A engine in my truck. The diamond is near the timing gear cover on the valve side of the engine. Whichever way you go, enjoy your A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_3824.jpg (42.9 KB, 28 views)
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote