View Single Post
Old 07-11-2023, 08:29 PM   #7
Shoebox on Whidbey

Default Re: Replacing clutch in 1950 Shoebox Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by russonator View Post
Yes, but you shouldn't need to remove the transmission, just slide it back enough to access the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. You will be able to do this after removing the drive shaft. Having done this job lying on my back, I recommend you get access to a lift. You should also purchase a shop manual, AKA Green Bible, for this car. Since you have a convertible, you will need to contend with the X-frame rather than the ladder frame, which raises the degree of difficulty slightly. If the car has overdrive, the attached solenoid will also present a bit more of a challenge in maneuvering and aligning the tranny. Finally, the job can be done solo, but is easier with a buddy, if you're willing to risk your friendship (slight exaggeration).

Those are some of the logistics. Now the big question: Why do you ascribe your problem to a newly installed clutch disk? I would definitely do a great deal more troubleshooting before taking things apart. Consult the Green Bible for more details.
From my experience, a defective clutch disc is the most logical culprit in causing a severe shudder when engaging the clutch. I don't know if the flywheel was turned when the replaced the clutch or where they sourced the parts.

Besides for the motor and transmission mounts, are there other key areas I should look at carefully?
Shoebox on Whidbey is offline   Reply With Quote