Thread: brakes
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2023, 06:52 PM   #4
Flathead Fever

Default Re: brakes

The Mitchell Pickup was the first hot rod ever road tested in a magazine. Wally Parks did the testing in Hot Rod Magazine. He was happy with the self-energizing brakes on the rear and the Early Fords in front, except that they were sensitive and slid with too much pressure because of the light weight of the car. A '40-'48 car is going to stop differently. I'm building a '34 pickup with Lincoln brakes front and rear. On my '32 roadster highboy project I like the radiational look of the Early Ford backing plates on the front so I might run Lincolns just on the rear. I have a '32 2-window that somebody started building. Early Halibrand in the rear with F-100 self-energizing brakes, on converted 9-inch axles and Early Ford Brakes up front with Buick drums.

It's been years since I started the Mitchell Pickup up. I think it was the last Pasadena Reliability Run. It sees daylight about every ten-years. It should have that barn-find patina by now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 1951 Hot Rod mITCHELL ROAD TEST PG. 10.jpg (70.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg June 1951 Hot Rod Mitchell road test pg.jpg (80.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg plaque - Copy.jpg (39.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 07-01-2023 at 07:21 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote