View Single Post
Old 06-28-2023, 01:34 AM   #94
m610

Default Re: New member, first Ford project

Thanks on the color question. My partner in this was sure I should be using flat black.

And, Brenden, it is a really fun project, even with all the accumulated dirt and painted on tar. The small differences from more modern cars, well, semi-modern, are fun to see. Such as actual carriage bolts, and all bolts being fine thread, and castle nuts everywhere. No top-loc nuts at all.

And don't worry, we won't be taking liberties with this car that would horrify collectors. Our goal is to get it running reliably on all of the original gear, including the mechanical brakes, and preserving as much of the character of what was once Richard's great-grandfather's car as possible. Naturally, this creates problems making calls on what exactly to do. We can't leave everything as-is, dirty and rusty, and some some areas do need to be cleaned up in order to work on them. We've decided it won't violate the project's goals if we cleaned up the engine bay, for example, but other crusty parts will stay as they are.

I wanted to go ahead and paint the engine bay so I could start installing the wiring.

Today I spent cleaning and painting parts we've taken off the car. The pedals and e-brake handle are ready to go back in, but I'll hold off until I get the floor repaired.

I did replace the steel screws for the electrical connections with brass.

I'm wondering if replacements for these are available. If not, can they be repaired? I'd think welding cast iron could be a challenge.

I finally got around to painting the frame in the engine bay. We've decided we want to engine bay to look nice, seeing as a fresh motor is going in there.

Here's some patina we'd like to preserve.

Tomorrow I'll take on the inner fender.

m610 is offline   Reply With Quote