View Single Post
Old 06-18-2023, 04:07 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: A model N, T, A, auction that would have been fun to attend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
Anyone know what was so special about the Model T chassis that brought $18k? Assuming it was an '09?

-Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Anyone know what was so special about the Model T chassis that brought $18k? Assuming it was an '09?

never understood the hierarchy of owning a low digit T. It seems the lower the digits, the higher the price. Of course the 2 pedals are ultra rare. Funny how the N R S cars never commanded the same type of premium, being so similar and low production.

This is a case where you needed to inspect the cars closely. The Touring that brought $19k had an open-valve engine but incorrect hogshead, a later 12 rivet rear axle, incorrect headlamps, incorrect coil box, incorrect carburetor, incorrect steering column, etc. I'm sure I could find more if we were looking at it in person. The pictures are a little blurry, but even the block may have been a counterfeit. As far as the body, both the chassis and the Touring body would need to be replaced (-likely by a Ray Wells body) and the sheetmetal would best be replaced too. Therefore, basically what both sold for was chassis'. It appeared the chassis-only sales lot had the correct 6 rivet, the correct open-valve engine, etc., so it may have been purchased to make one correct car.

As far as what makes them so valuable, an 09/10 are extremely hard to find in any condition, and as such they bring strong money. I have been collecting 09/10 stuff for years now and probably have over $45k in just a running gear and a few key body parts. The reason I like the early stuff is because it is unique.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote